Subject: VAXstationII back to life
To: NetBSD VAX Port <firstname.lastname@example.org>
From: Cthulhu <email@example.com>
Date: 06/27/1999 19:41:01
After building the DEQNA connetor, I was able to install NetBSD on it.
Just for knowledge, I netbooted using a linux box as mopd/bootparamd/nfsd,
then I installed via NFS on a single partition on RD53, no swap.
Now, of course, I have some questions. :)
0) While installing, while running MAKDEV, it printed:
bad unit for disk in: random
bad unit for disk in: raid0
bad unit for disk in: raid1
bad unit for disk in: raid2
Is '/dev/random' used by something important?
1) At boot it says:
realmem = 9428992
avail mem = 6512640
Who is using missing memory? Kernel?
2) About two weeks ago, I did a mirror of
I have kernel 1.3I, while VAX port homepage was talking about 1.4.
I'm trying just now kernels found in kernels/, but how is full
Where to look for last updates?
3) 'shutdown -h now' doesn't work, 'halt' does, but drops a core. Why?
4) The clock battery is missing, so at every boot the VAX thinks it is 1
Jan 1970, or something near. Will this cause _severe_ malfunction?
5) I've a problem. When I telnet into a VAX, I think VMS. How to solve
Thanks for patience. :)
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu http://www.rlyeh.it wgah'nagl fhtgan!
<cthulhu at flashnet dot it>