Subject: Re: VAXstation I questions
To: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
From: None <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/24/1999 12:19:49
> > I have the chance to buy a VAXstation I with some hard drives locally
> > for an asking price of $100.  How's that for a price?
>
> If i'm right, this is the slowest VAX ever made, isn't it ?

It is.  About one third that of a MVII.  Also it's limited in the amount
of ram installable (uses Qbus memory) so something less than 4meg is
the MAX!

> If you've got the chance to get another machine (VAXstation II upwards),
> better do it. VAXen can be get for very low prices, often for free, so

Unless your into preserving history that s a good recommendation.

> Porting is not that difficult, and as long you don't compile the kernel on
> the VAXstation I, it could be fun. Kernel compilation might take 2-3
> days...

UvaxI is the smallest instruction subset of the whole bunch and that
compile estimate may be off by a few days. ;)

Allison