Subject: Re: Fixing the swapper (was Re: Summarisation on uvII/VS3100 booting)
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/24/1999 01:49:57

> > >	(2) What makes you think the "swapper" is the problem?
> >
> > If you don't swap you don't fail.
> >
> > Now these symptoms have been observed (and I can reproduce them) on both
> > the KA630 and KA650 CPUs. I've not tried on my KA655 but it is similar
> > enough to the 650 that I don't think there will be much difference.
> >
> If someone feels for trying something:
>
> Remove insque() from mscp/mscp_subr.c
> Remove remque() from mscp/mscp.c
>
> Recompile the kernel and see if the problem is still there.

Ragge,  This appears to have stabilised my uvII system.
I've been loading it up as much as possible (L/A of 6 hits
pretty quickly here, and is mostly crippling load), and I've
managed to get 1.6mb swapped out and it's still going.

Do you have any insight into what the issue was that caused the
problem, and any concerns for having removed the calls from the
mscp code?

Thanks for the fix.

Regards,
				-skots