Subject: Re: Again: Booting a Vax-Server 3100 with NetBSD-1.4
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Phillips <atp@mssl.ucl.ac.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/23/1999 16:45:03
Hi,

>However, for whatever reason, the most significant word of a longword
>was stored first in memory; I don't remember if that was a software
>convention, or a hardware thing.

    Funnily enough, I happen to have the RSX-11M 4.1 vol 5
    i/o drivers development and ref manual on my desk. (Nov 1981)

    A rather superficial skim of this yields,

    Appendix A (development of the address double word) says;

    "The addressing in a mapped system uses virtual addresses
    and memory mapping hardware. I/O transfers, however, use
    physical addresses 18 bits in length. Since a PDP word size
    is 16 bits, some scheme is needed to represent an address
    internally...

     Section 4.1.4.1 (4-32) says
     For NPR device drivers the layout is as follows.

     Word 1
      bit  0 	Go bit
      bits 1-2  function code
      bits 4-5  Memory extension bits
      bits 6    interrupt enable
      bits 7-15 MBZ

     Word 2
      bits 0-15 The lower 16 bits of the address.

     So, i/o hardware. Probably what happened is that they stuffed
     the extra 2 address bits into the "setup word" that preceded it,
     as a wild guess.

     Don't know if that has anything to do with the price of tea in
     china, but hope it helps :-).

     		Andy

--
atp@nojunk-mssl.ucl.ac.uk             |        Dr. Andy Phillips