Subject: Fixing the swapper (was Re: Summarisation on uvII/VS3100 booting)
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@freegate.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/22/1999 23:35:36
Chuck,

(you replied:)
> At 01:48 AM 6/21/99 +0000, you wrote:
> >
> >Bingo!  I was presuming a load/VM issue.   Didn't consider the swapper being
> >fr0k3.  I've now confirmed this much on this end by going through the
> >/usr/src build by manually stepping down the tree, thus avoiding the 'make'
> >images and shells piling up in the proc table, and am having great success
> >getting the latest sources built and installed in single-user.
> >
> >With this tidbit of info, I can now directly delve into the swap code and
> >track down this bit.  Debugging is where I shine, but only when I know
> >what to debug ;)
> >
> >FYI, my SCSI controller is the CMD 220 puppy here.
>
> Excellent! I'll be happy to test code as would Bruce no doubt. I was
> concerned that since we both had Sigma controllers if the bug is in the
> Sigma implementation of MSCP we wouldn't be able to verify that.

Do we have a consensus on what platforms and conditions the swap problem
exists?  Any such info is GREATLY needed.  I can only assume it really
exists on ALL platforms at this point.

> You'll probably want to snag my latest version of
> db_machdep.c which lets you trace processes in ddb, Ragge said he checked
> it in so you should get it if you CVSUP the tree. Or I can send it to you,
> its rough (doesn't do well in panic situations :-) but works for what I need.

Here's the big favour:  Is anyone with a stable/fast machine able to tarball
up a complete build of the lastest cvs with this file (both source and obj)
and make it available to me for FTP?  I really don't think I need mention
the speed of the uvII here, and the fact that I'm manually traversion the
first directory levels from the TLD to hand-hold a build through to
completion here ;)   I'd REALLY appreciate this head-start.

Thanks, and regards,
				-skots
--
Scott G. Akmentins-Taylor     InterNet: staylor@mrynet.com