Subject: Booting problems (Was Re: Trouble booting a Vax-Server 3100)
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Per Larsson <tucker@algonet.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/21/1999 20:13:01
On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Anders Magnusson wrote:

> > This makes 1.4 rather worthless as it stands.
> >
> > I sure hope someone (Ragge?) puts a fixed kernel somewhere.
> >
> I tried the 1.4 distribution on a 3100/m30, did a netinstall onto a
> local SCSI disk and it just worked...
> There must be zillions of different types of 3100's out there. Gee, it's
> like a nightmare to get something that works on all of them...

DEC used a rather confusing numbering scheme, I gather.

uV-3X00
uV-3100/XX
VaxStation-3100/XX
VaxStation-4000/XX
VAX-4000/XXX

Within the series, it seems to be consistent, with higher numbers for
newer machines, but absolutely no correspondence between series.
I've had to check that 'VMS CPU' list rather often to get things straight.

> > Ps. What's the status on 1.4 for the uV-II? I haven't touched it for
> > a while as I'm waiting for a DELQA. Ds.
> >
> I did a 1.4 test installation booting from TU81 onto a MV3, so it should
> work just fine I hope...

Ok, I'll soon try that tapeimage on a TK50 tape, although many people
seems to have had trouble with it.