Subject: Re: Disks for uVax II
To: Douglas S. Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
From: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/21/1999 10:27:32
-----Original Message-----
From: Douglas S. Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Monday, June 21, 1999 9:50 AM
Subject: Disks for uVax II

>Hi

Hi,

>I've got some questions about disk drives for the uVax II.  I've
>got the RQDX3 controller, and the machine currently has two RD53
>drives, but without cables (I've ordered some MFM cables from
>ITS www.i-t-s.com).  I'm a bit confused about what kind of
>drives will actually work with this controller.

RD51,RD52,RD53,RD54 ;-))

>I have an
>old ESDI drive from a PS/2, that uses the same kind of
>cable interface,

Same cable: YES, BUT DON'T TRY !!!

> and I've seen Micropolis 170 MB ESDI drives available.

Going into ESDI is probably the cheapiest. I bought some ESDI drives ($ 50
for 330 MBytes & $80 for 660 MBytes) but you still have to get a ESDI
controller. This varies between $0 to $250 or MORE ...

>I've got another Micropolis 1375 (170Mb) that has a SCSI
>interface, but looks identical in every other respect to the
>RD53 drives, which say they are Micropolis 1325.  Could it
>be converted easily to a drive the uVax would be happy with,
>say by attaching a mounting from an old RD53?

!?!???

>Of course, I'd love to get ahold of a good SCSI controller,
>and hook up several gigs to this thing, but ...

I guess, we all share your love for SCSI controllers here ;-))

But they are hard to get (cheap).

have fun,
emanuel