Subject: Re: Again: Booting a Vax-Server 3100 with NetBSD-1.4
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: <rsr@lab.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/20/1999 21:50:41
On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, Jan Mueller wrote:

> O.K., i tried netbooting and was able to see those four blocks
> of numbers and a hex-number as the kernel was loading. But after that
> i didn't see anything more on my laptop that is connected to
> the first MMJ port of the machine ( i tried the other MMJ-Ports too).
> I was able to ping the vax, maybe the support for the serial console
> doesn't work on my machine.

My assumption here is that the VS3100 has some sort of video port on it
and for whatever reason the kernel is switching to the video console on
bootup and not sticking with the serial console.

I also have a VS3100 and after much hairpulling and teethgnashing I got it
netbooting with 1.4, and lo and behold had the same symptoms.

So: what is going on here with the VS3100 and how can I, having only a
wonderful and unbelievably tough[1] VT320 to hook into it, get NetBSD
installed on it so I can use the darn thing?

[1] Dropped it on a concrete floor off a table when I was retrieving the
    VAX...

--
"Those geezers have tasted human flesh!" -- Nick
          http://web.lab.net/~rsr/