Subject: Re: Again: Booting a Vax-Server 3100 with NetBSD-1.4
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Jan Mueller <j.mueller@ginko.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/20/1999 21:24:32
Sorry for my previous posting, don't know where the body-text has gone ...

At 17:53 19.06.99 +0200, Anders Magnusson wrote:
>To make a filesystem from a decstation I would assume that this would
>be a simple way (even if netboot is simpler :-)
O.K., i tried netbooting and was able to see those four blocks
of numbers and a hex-number as the kernel was loading. But after that
i didn't see anything more on my laptop that is connected to
the first MMJ port of the machine ( i tried the other MMJ-Ports too).
I was able to ping the vax, maybe the support for the serial console
doesn't work on my machine.

># disklabel -W sd0 Enable writing to boot sector
># dd if=hpboot of=/dev/rsd0c Write the vax boot sector, destroys old label
># disklabel sd0 > /tmp/hej Save proto disklabel
># disklabel -R sd0 /tmp/hej Write fresh disklabel
># disklabel -e -r sd0 Edit new disklabel
># newfs sd0blah... Newfs the new partitions.
>
>This is totally untested but it may work :-)
>
>-- Ragge
no, this doesn't work. The vax hangs with
83 BOOT SYS
?50 SCB2NDINT, DKA200
85 RESTART SYS
this also happens, when i dd the miniroot.fs to the harddisk.
Booting from tape with the 1.4 miniroot
> boot rom()netbsd.gz -d
gives the following error:
631588+1266332+150812+[53616\
85 RESTART SYS
84 FAIL
Booting from NetBSD 1.3.2 tape brings
up a bootloader-prompt, but
: rom()netbsd
or
: rom()netbsd.gz
result in:
No such file or directory
I think i'll have to get an old VMS Version to get the vax up :-((
Thanks to everyone for help and
suggestions,
Jan.