Subject: Re: Floppy booting NETBSD 1.4 on VS3100
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/19/1999 12:21:54
Hi !

> Disabling the SCSI disconnect worked okay on my VS3100/M76 with an
> exceptionally crappy RZ22 (50Megs).  I'll try it on an M30 and M38 as
> well, but I don't think there would be any problems with those systems.

This must be a problem with the disk. I use 2 540 MB IBMs in one box and 1
1 GB DEC in the other box, works fine. RZ23 also works fine, but 100 MB is
a bit small to do useful things :-)

> I was able to read/write to the disk at about 80-90KB/s.  Is that
> sub-floppy throughput? :-)

Hey, this is really FAST !!! Without this disconnect hack i tested with
"dd" and got about 35 KB/s. This is due to missing DMA support yet.
Network is definitely faster at the moment (about 360 KB/s), but we should
reach this with SCSI DMA also.

so long.. Michael