Subject: Re: Floppy booting NETBSD 1.4 on VS3100
To: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/18/1999 15:10:10
On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Michael Kukat wrote:

> > > ncr_sc->sc_no_disconnect = 0xff;
> > >
> > What actually does this cause for effects? I mean; is there any reason to
> > why this shouldn't be the default?
>
> I don't see any problem with it. I saw this patch some time ago in the
> list, and as far as i remember, this disables disconnection. I tested it
> here on my 3100 m76, worked fine, i can really use a filesystem on
> harddisk, and after this patch went through the list, nobody screamed
> about problems. Just put it in, as long as we don't drive DMA, it's a fine
> way to use it. Maybe with DMA, this costs a bit of performance, but it
> should work there also.

Disabling the SCSI disconnect worked okay on my VS3100/M76 with an
exceptionally crappy RZ22 (50Megs).  I'll try it on an M30 and M38 as
well, but I don't think there would be any problems with those systems.

I was able to read/write to the disk at about 80-90KB/s.  Is that
sub-floppy throughput? :-)

-brian.
---