Subject: Re: Floppy booting NETBSD 1.4 on VS3100
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: William Gnadt <wgnadt@rri-usa.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/17/1999 14:58:02
Brian D Chase wrote:

> As far as I am aware, you can't successfully install NetBSD/vax 1.4 from
> floppy on any of the VS3100 or VS4000 models.  If anyone can prove
> otherwise, I'm sure we'd be happy to hear about it :-)

I'd like to strengthen the above statement by adding that it is not even
possible to *boot* NetBSD/vax 1.4 from floppy on any VS3100 (or VS4000?)
using the miniroot.fs and directions supplied with the distribution.

At least part of the reason is that the bootloader cannot find the
correct
kernel file. It tries several "standard" files during autoboot, and then
dies. [I detailed all of the messages in a previous post.]

If someone can prove otherwise, I'd be extremely glad to hear about it.
:-)

Bill

--
+           William Gnadt            wgnadt@rri-usa.org     +
+   Riverside Research Institute - Boston Research Office   +