Subject: Getting to know my uVax
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Douglas S. Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/15/1999 09:13:39
On Sun, 13 Jun 1999, Brian D Chase wrote:

> install from the network if you're motivated to setup a bootserver.  Did
> the system come with any hard drives?  Ideally you'd want an RD54 (160Meg),
> but you could get by with a smaller drive and some NFS mounted filesystems.

I'm embarrassed to admit that my power supply problem was a fluke,
as I hadn't noticed the main power switch on the front (Silly, it
looks like all the other DEC power switches!) but thought that
the circuit breaker at the back was the only switch.  OK, laugh
if you like, but my wife makes me keep this poor creature in the
shed, and it's dark out there.

I've ordered a cable for the serial console from Stonewall Cable,
800-525-3303, who I have found to be an excellent source for custom
cables.  I wish I could cobble these things together myself, but I
haven't got up to speed on it.

On the subject of cables, after further exploration of the
uVax II, I find that the cables for the disk drives are also missing.
There are 2 RD53 drives, admittedly small, but it would be nice to
be able to connect them.  In slot 13 is a card that is connected to
the disk controller (I think M9058, but I don't have my note with me),
and this card actually has the connectors that attach to the cables
to the disk drives.  There appear to be two cables that go to each
drive, a large one and a smaller one.  Are these standard cables
that you can order somewhere?

Doug