Subject: Floppy booting NetBSD 1.4 on VS3100/30
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: William Gnadt <wgnadt@rri-usa.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/14/1999 09:05:43
Hi,

I wonder if a kind soul can either help with the following, or
provide useful references [None of the FAQ material that I found
dealt directly with floppies in detail.]:

I'm trying to boot a diskless, networked VS3100/30 using the
internal floppy drive. [Once booted, I plan to mount all
filesystems via NFS, of course.]

I've fetched the miniroot.fs written to a HD floppy disk using:

	dd if=miniroot.fs of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 conv=sync ; sync

from a linux box. I then insert the floppy into the VS and type:

	b/3 dua2

and wait. Right away I see the NetBSD/vax boot banner and a
prompt to press any key to abort autobooting. I wait again and
eventually see a '>' prompt.

Isn't there a kernel in the miniroot? Shouldn't it autoboot?

I tried manually booting using a large combination of commands
most of which look like:

	boot netbsd -s

What am I missing? I'm sure this is simple, but I've not run
NetBSD on other than i386 machines.

Thanks for any help,

Bill

--
+           William Gnadt            wgnadt@rri-usa.org     +
+   Riverside Research Institute - Boston Research Office   +