Subject: Re: fstab: explanation?
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/13/1999 17:41:02
On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Anders Magnusson wrote:

> Some comments on this:
> The root filesystem must be the first filesystem on the disk. Not
> necessarily "a" partition, but it must start at sector 0. (So that the
> boot blocks finds the "boot" program). The "c" partition must always
> be the whole disk. It is hardcoded. The "d" partition isn't applicable
> at all on NetBSD/vax, it is only used on machines with a DOS disklabel
> also.

Well you can use the d partition, but it doesn't need to take on a
"special" meaning like it may on disks partitioned for multiple operating
systems. Most all of the /etc/disktab entries illustrate relatively
complex partitioning schemes.  I normally follow the following conventions
on my diskful VAXen:

    ra0a  /
    ra0b  swap
    ra0c  whole disk
    ra0d  /var
    ra0e  /usr

Of course, I don't think there's anything which prevents you from
allocating your b and d,e,f,... partitions in novel ways.  I suppose you
could give your b partition sectors which are physically located after
those in your d partition.

-brian.
---