Subject: Re: fstab: explanation?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@gummo.bbb.sub.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/13/1999 22:58:29
Michael Kukat writes:
> Hi !
>
> > 	Would someone please take a moment to explain the contents of fstab for
> > 1.4/VAX to me? Yes, I can simply copy it from the installation FAQ, but I
> > would be far more comfortable if I knew what the entries did.
>
> Ok, here is the stuff i know (from the manpage):
>
> This is a typical fstab:
            ^^^^^^^

> /dev/ra0a                       /       nfs     rw,auto 1 1
                                          ^---
> /dev/ra1a                       swap    swap    sw,auto 0 0
          ^---
> /dev/ra0b                       /usr    ffs     rw,auto 1 2
          ^---
> zeus:/usr/vax/common/usr/src    /usr/src        nfs     rw,auto 0 0
> zeus:/home                      /home   nfs     rw,auto 0 0

I wouldn't name that "typical" ;-)

The fs-type for /dev/ra0a should read "ffs" instead of "nfs".

BTW: Not that it really matters but the "classical" way of partitioning
a disk (eg. ra0, 'a' to 'h' denoting the 8 possible partitions) would be

	ra0a		for first/boot partition
	ra0b		for swap [optional]
	ra0c		for the complete disk
	ra0d		for the *BSD part of disk (usually the same as 'c')
	ra0[e-h]	for additional partitions/filesystems [optional]

Ciao,
	bertram