Subject: Tapes & Floppies: 1.4Vax
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/13/1999 11:54:01
	I'm sending this again because my ISP has been having problems with their
E-mail and news servers. If it's a duplicate, please forgive me.

	I just finished the base build on my MicroVAX II last night -- which, BTW,
would have been impossible without the welcome assistance of various
listmembers, including Chuck McManis, Michael Kukat, and Paul Sawyer;
thanks, guys!

	Anyway, I've run into something I'm not sure how to deal with.
Specifically, I cannot access the second tape drive. It's a SCSI unit,
installed on the tape side of my Sigma RQD11S (which handles both disk and
tape drives on one board), but the host adapter makes it look like Just
Another TMSCP Drive (in this case, mub0 to DEC or /dev/rrmt1 to NetBSD).

	When I try to check it with mt -f /dev/rrmt1 status, I get back 'Device
not Configured.'

	This doesn't make sense to me, especially since I used ./MAKEDEV all when
I built the system. Can someone please tell me:

	(a), What gives?

	and...

	(b), How do I correct it? I really need the system to see that additional
drive.

	Failing that, is there a way I can format a floppy to make it visible to a
Linux box? (Red Hat 5.2), or format a floppy on the Linux box to make it
visible to the VAX? The system does see the floppy drives at least.

	Thanks in advance.

Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho, Blue Feather Technologies
http://www.bluefeathertech.com
Amateur Radio:(WD6EOS) E-mail: kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com
SysOp: The Dragon's Cave (Fido 1:343/272, 253-639-9905)
"Our science can only describe an object, event, or living thing in our own
human terms. It cannot, in any way, define any of them..."