Subject: SOC CPU again... (Cache)
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/13/1999 16:26:57
Hi !

Again the cache problem of the VS 4000 VLC (and maybe the VAX 4000/200 and
MV 3100/40 in future):
I tried several ways of initilizing the cache now (thanks to bertram,
antonio and mats again), but it still refuses to work. Now i'm screwing
around in the scsi support for the booter to boot from harddisk in those
VS 3100 series and see some comments about cache and memory-mapped I/O. So
i think the SOC CPU "caches" the LANCE I/O-registers, because the box
always crashes at random places in the code between getting the IP-address
and mounting the root fs from a NFS server.
I can't find something about this in the other machines, so how is this
done there ? Does the MMU of other CPUs prevent such thing and the SOC
doesn't or where could the problem result from ?

I'm not sure about it, but it's the only thing, which is left as a reason
for the problems.

Anybody an idea ?

so long.. Michael