Subject: Re: fstab: explanation?
To: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/13/1999 09:50:33
Hi !

> 	Would someone please take a moment to explain the contents of fstab for
> 1.4/VAX to me? Yes, I can simply copy it from the installation FAQ, but I
> would be far more comfortable if I knew what the entries did.

Ok, here is the stuff i know (from the manpage):

This is a typical fstab:

/dev/ra0a                       /       nfs     rw,auto 1 1
/dev/ra1a                       swap    swap    sw,auto 0 0
/dev/ra0b                       /usr    ffs     rw,auto 1 2
zeus:/usr/vax/common/usr/src    /usr/src        nfs     rw,auto 0 0
zeus:/home                      /home   nfs     rw,auto 0 0

First field is the device special file or whatever source you want to
mount. /dev/ra0a is the first partition on the first MSCP-harddisk in
NetBSD. And "zeus" is my NFS-server, where also some mounts go onto.
The second field is the mount point, where the filesystem will me mounted.
The third field is the file system type. NFS is the network file system,
FFS is the NetBSD filesystem on disks. The "swap" here is a special case,
this line mounts /dev/ra1a as swap space. (Not done by "mount" but by
"swapctl").

Fourth field are the Options for mount. "rw" means read-write, "ro" means
read-only, "auto" means auto-mount at boot, "sw" means swap-space, and
much more. For all these options please have a look into the manpage,
these 4 are just the most used.
Fifth and sixth field are info for dump and fsck, how to handle the
filesystems. Fifth is the dump-frequency, don't know what it does exactly,
because i don't use dump for my backups, but a "0" means, this filesystem
doesn't neet top be backed up. Sixth is the pass number for fsck. Fsck can
do file system checks for more than one filesystem simultaneously, because
the system can read from more devices more quickly, because seek-times of
drives can be used to read data from another drive which has already
positioned. The root-fs should have "1" to get checked first, others
should have "2". "0" means no checking. If there are more filesystems on
one physical device, they get checked sequentially by fsck, so you can
give root "1" and all other filesystems "2", and network-filesystems "0"

For more detailed info, just read the manpage of fstab, this is only a
quick reference.

so long... Michael