Subject: bash just compiled for NetBSD/vax
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/11/1999 23:59:46
Hi !

i just gave fetched the GNU bash 2.03 to try to compile it under NetBSD/vax.
Result: It worked ! (Wasn't really possible with 1.14.7 i tried before :-)
Now let's get this bit of luxury under NetBSD/vax, you can download the
binaries at:

http://www.camaronet.de/download/bash-2.0.3-NetBSD-vax.tgz

Please don't blame me if the file doesn't get downloaded correctly, i don't
know if my provider already fixed the problem with the MIME-types. (Will look
into it right now).

Just untar this in the root dir (/), the files can be found at some locations
in /usr/local... bash is /usr/local/bin/bash. Just enter this in your
/etc/passwd, write a nice /etc/bashrc and be happy.

Warning: i compiled in nearly all options, so the binary is very big. I think
this is not really a useful shell for 4 MB boxes. If you don't have much RAM,
you can strip the binary, the size will shrink from currently about 1,6 MB to
about 380 KB. Just enter:

strip /usr/local/bin/bash

for this.

More info about bash at http://www.fsf.org/