Subject: Re: VAX 4000/300 official kernel/booter
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/07/1999 17:45:39
Hi !

> > So, the kernel including "make depend" took over 3 hours, my usual compilation
> > time of it including "make depend" on the VAXstation 3100 m76, also netbooted,
> > is a bit more than two hours.
>
> I wonder why the KA670 seems to be slower than the KA43 ... they should be
> about the same I would have thought?

As said, the environment was a bit different. I'll recheck this in the same
environment (hoping, the DELQA isn't much different in throughput than the
LANCE of the VAXstation). I don't think of a disabled cache, this would have
been much more difference between the both boxes.

The 4000/300 is at 8 VUPs, while the VS 3100m76 is at 7,6 VUPs. CPU is exactly
the same, so i think, the speed difference may result from different caches and
maybe even the different system bus.

I'll send better results when compiling in exactly the same environment:
completely netbooted and networked root.
not that loaded nfs-server i had this time. (MP3-encoding eats much CPU power).

so long.. Michael