Subject: More progress!
To: None <Paul.Sawyer@tellabs.com>
From: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/06/1999 18:53:35
At 18:50 05-06-1999 -0500, you wrote:

>I was able to boot the 1.4 miniroot from where you are at using the command
>
>boot netbsd.gz -d

	<snip>

Hi, Paul and the list,

	Paul, you seem to have had more immediate experience with 1.4, which is
why I'm coming back to you. I'm cc'ing this to the list as well in case we
both miss something.

	Ok... here's where I've gotten so far. I'm able to boot, and to get the
sysinst script up, but it didn't do me any good. Through much
brow-furrowing, and going through Gunnar's old FAQ, I managed to, at least
partially, figure out that edlabel was, apparently, no more, and that it
had been replaced by disklabel.

	I've disklabeled all the partitions on the first hard drive, using the
command disklabel -i ra0, and I'm in the process of using newfs on them now
to get them initialized. I will then use disklabel -B ra0 to write the boot
block to the system disk. I'm using newfs /dev/rra0a, b, c, and g for the
formatting.

	Am I doing it right so far? I'm a little nervous due to the fact that I'm
seeing messages from newfs about unallocated sectors at the end of each
partition when I set them up.

	Also, any idea why sysinst can't do the initial setup from its menu? It
seems to take parameters, but doesn't seem to actually -do- anything.

	FWIW, I've found that the -s flag also works for booting. Haven't tried -a
yet...

	Thanks in advance.

Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho, Blue Feather Technologies
http://www.bluefeathertech.com
Amateur Radio:(WD6EOS) E-mail: kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com
SysOp: The Dragon's Cave (Fido 1:343/272, 253-639-9905)
"Our science can only describe an object, event, or living thing in our own
human terms. It cannot, in any way, define any of them..."