Subject: Re: 1.4 on TK50 wanted
To: Rick Copeland <rcopeland@corp.jps.net>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/03/1999 15:04:50
On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Rick Copeland wrote:

> I write with a TK50/scsi (ga I beleive) connected to a 486 running NetBSD
> i386 1.2 (with a small kernel mod so that the i386 can see the TK50), and it
> works fine when I read them on both uVax ll and uVax 3600 (the latter has a
> TK70 instead of a 50).

Same setup I have.  I've got a TK50 in the MicroVAX II and a TK70 in my
3600.  Both systems have booted from tapes I've written using the
MicroVAX II TK50.

Bruce, assuming that you're wanting to TK50 boot something like a VS3100,
you might try netbooting it with the TK50 drive attached to it.  Then see
if you can talk to the drive using the netbooted system.  If that doesn't
work, then the odds of performing at TK50 install are pretty slim since
the kernel needs to be able to talk with the drive in order to read the
tarred distribution files off of tape.

If you're doing this with a Q-bus based system, then I know you can
netboot it and build the install tapes on the netbooted system.  Any other
installs can be done from these tapes.

-brian.
---