Subject: Re: Shared "/usr" with multiple 3100's
To: Rick Copeland <rcopeland@corp.jps.net>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/28/1999 13:32:00
On Fri, 28 May 1999, Rick Copeland wrote:

> I am mop booting several 3100's from a single server and would like to share the /usr directory with all of the 3100's to save space.  A couple of people responded a while back suggesting that it is possible  but I have not been able to get it to work.
>
> Currently I use a Sun 3/80 as the bootserver, once the 3100's (zircon1, zircon2) get booted they are pointed to a uVAX 3600 (diamond) for their respective file systems.  A partial listing of the exports file follows:
>
>     /export/vaxclient1/root    -maproot=root zircon1.gem.com
>     /export/vaxclient1/swap    -maproot=root zircon1.gem.com
>     #
>     /export/vaxclient2/root    -maproot=root zircon2.gem.com
>     /export/vaxclient2/swap    -maproot=root zircon2.gem.com
>     #
>     /export/vaxclinet0/usr    -maproot=root zircon1.gem.com
>     /export/vaxclinet0/usr     -maproot=root zircon2.gem.com
>
> An example of the bootparams file:
>
>     zircon1 root=diamond:/export/vaxclient1/root \
>                swap=diamond:/export/vaxclient1/swap \
>                usr=diamond:/export/vaxclient0/usr
>

>     zircon2 root=diamond:/export/vaxclient2/root \
>                swap=diamond:/export/vaxclient2/swap \
>                usr=diamond:/export/vaxclient0/usr
>
> Does this look like it should work?

Hmm... I can't say I know a *whole* lot about bootparamd and setting it
up, but I've never specified "usr" under its options.  I always just
specify the root filesystem, and then rely on the diskless client's
/etc/fstab to mount the correct filesystems at boot time.

Example /etc/bootparams from the bootserver:

  futplex  root=beable:/export/futplex/root swap=beable:/export/futplex/swap

Example /etc/fstab from the diskless client:

  beable:/export/futplex/root / nfs rw 0 0
  beable:/export/futplex/swap none swap sw,nfsmntpt=/swap
  beable:/export/netbsd/1.4/vax /usr nfs rw 0 0
  beable:/export/netbsd/1.4/share /usr/share nfs rw 0 0
  beable:/export/netbsd/1.4/pkgsrc /usr/pkgsrc nfs rw 0 0
  beable:/export/netbsd/1.4/src /usr/src nfs rw 0 0
  beable:/export/netbsd/1.4/xsrc /usr/xsrc nfs rw 0 0

My setup is a bit complex so I can support netbooting of multiple
architectures, OSes, and OS versions with minimal duplication of data on
my bootserver.

-brian.
---