Subject: Re: 1.4 and Zombies
To: Jerome Tonneson <jerome@m-net.arbornet.org>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/28/1999 11:52:08
On Fri, 28 May 1999, Jerome Tonneson wrote:

> >Unfortunately no. I compiled a debug kernel so that I could use my process
> >tracing stuff to see why init was not reaping zombies and the problem went
> >away.
>
> A Heisenbug?

Yeah, it's sort of tricky to debug a potential kernel problem when adding
in the kernel debugger code causes the problem to go away :-)

I'm also having some problems with large compiles using the distributed
1.4_BETA kernel.  After a few hours of running a make of /usr/xsrc, my M76
goes into la-la land.  Usually I can still ping the box, but it doesn't
allow any logins either through remote services or directly on the
console.  It pretty much boils down to a halt and restart.

I know Ragge recently mentioned nailing a vm related bug, and I think it
was Chuck who noticed the large compile problems disappearing.  I'm not
sure if this is related to the vm bug or not.  And then also, I'm not sure
if the vm bug was fixed before the 1.4 release or if the fix is just in
current.  Then thirdly, I've not yet compiled a 1.4 GENERIC+debug so I've
not yet done any empirical data gathering.

Also, has anyone seen the "botched longjump" messages sometimes when
interrupting processes?  I haven't narrowed in on this one just yet
either.

-brian.
---