Subject: Re: Trying to boot 1.4 on a 750
To: <>
From: None <Paul.Sawyer@tellabs.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/24/1999 23:39:11

> sysinst tries to do ioctl DIOCGDEFLABEL which is not
> supported by the hp driver. I think that your only
> chance is to exit sysinst and from the shell use
> disklabel to label hp1, and then proceed with the
> installation manually. I think that the hp driver
> does not know how to get the size of the disk (or
> even if the hardware is capable of returning this
> info), so you'll need to enter the right values.
> I presume that since you used edlabel there should
> be a valid label on the disk...
>
> then newfs the filesystems, untar the sets and do
> the necessary customizations. After you have the
> system up, send a PR for the problem :-)

Well,

I tried "disklabel -i hp1" but as far as I can tell, you
can't modify the sectors/track, tracks/cylinder, etc. this way,

then I tried "disklabel -e hp1" and that fails because it needs
vi which is not on the miniroot,

then I tried:
rm sysinst      # to make room on the ramdisk
cd etc
echo eagle:\\ >> disktab
.
.  creating disktab file with correct eagle entry
.
cd
disklabel -w -f /etc/disktab hp1 eagle

and then I get a bunch of lines saying:

massbus error :hp1 1100
drive error :hp1 er1=0 er2=0

which I can see come from hpfinish()
and seem to be saying that an invalid command
was given and that the transfer was aborted..

I see a single similar result if I try
disklabel -r hp1

Am I the only one left on earth using massbus
drives ?  I'm assuming there's little hope left at
this point...

Paul