Subject: Re: Trying to boot 1.4 on a 750
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/24/1999 16:41:11

> sysinst tries to do ioctl DIOCGDEFLABEL which is not
> supported by the hp driver. I think that your only
> chance is to exit sysinst and from the shell use
> disklabel to label hp1, and then proceed with the
> installation manually. I think that the hp driver
> does not know how to get the size of the disk (or
> even if the hardware is capable of returning this
> info), so you'll need to enter the right values.
> I presume that since you used edlabel there should
> be a valid label on the disk...

Correct. There is no way to determine the size of a massbus disk by software,
at least not if it is a non-DEC drive (There is a id word that tells which
DEC type of disk it is).
But I think in this case the problem may be deeper. The massbus hp drive
support may have been broken by age; it is 4 years since I last tried a
massbus disk and the whole driver was a fast hack from the beginning.
I _may_ have a 11/750 with a hp disk connected still somewhere at home,
so I can check this when I return to Sweden.

But, on the other hand, the massbus hp driver may work just fine also :-)

-- Ragge