Subject: Re: Halfway booted an uV3100/M40
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/24/1999 10:49:05
On Mon, May 24, 1999 at 03:30:21AM -0400, carlini@bulean.ENET.dec.com wrote:
> > (SID & 0xff000000) | ((SYS_TYPE >> 8) & 0xff0000) | (SYS_TYPE & 0xffff)
>
> The only architected bits are the top byte of the SID and the top byte of
> SYS_TYPE. The SYS_DEP field in SYS_TYPE (byte 1) also seems to matter in many
> cases. However, the bottom byte potentially varies according to the box you are
> on. For example, I have at one stage come across a VAX 4000-300 with a SYS_TYPE
> of 0x01340402: bytes 3 & 1 match those you report but bytes 2 and 0 do not
> match (my guess here is the the 0x49 in your case is a console FW version; I'm
> not sure what the 0x01 vs 0x02 field is - maybe VAXserver vs VAX?)

Ok, that's what i wanted to know. So we only use byte 3 and 1 and should get
one unique value for every box uxing this SYS_TYPE value. Maybe we sometimes
may need a differentiation of the firmware version or so, but in those special
cases we can check it in the boards own block.

So the value would change to: (SID & 0xff000000) | ((SYS_TYPE >> 8) & 0xff00ff)

We've 8 bits free for some other cases :-)

Antonio, you seem to know nearly everything about these DEC boxes. One little
question: I'm looking for the serial consooe port of the VAX 4000-300 (KA670),
it is located on the CPU board and i don't know if it's QBUS addressable or if
it uses an own CSR. Do you know something about it ?

so long... Michael