Subject: Re: Halfway booted an uV3100/M40
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: None <carlini@bulean.ENET.dec.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/20/1999 05:14:57
"michael@camaronet.de" "Michael Kukat"

> That's not that funny... the 4000 VLC also has 14/04, now we know where the
 > problem comes from.

To identify a VAX processor you do the following:

Read the SID. The top byte gives you the family.

If applicable read the SYSTYPE, usually at 0x20040004 but found in other places
on machines capable of addressing >512MB of physical memory. The top byte is
listed in the architecture manual and will distinguish between families of
machines. Another byte (the second byte) distinguishes between machines in the
same family.

So for a MicroVAX 3100-30 you have: SYS_TYPE 0x04010001
For a VAXstation 4000 VLC you have: SYS_TYPE 0x04010102

Both have a family of 04 but the SYS_DEP field is different.
The other fields are machine dependent and often vary according to firmware
rev installed etc.

I *think* that this is a general method you can use but note:

1) The early machines do not have a SYS_TYPE
2) Not *all* machines that implement SYS_TYPE do so at 0x20040004 (I think
   this affects at least the later VAX 4000 range).

Antonio