Subject: Re: Halfway booted an uV3100/M40
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: None <carlini@bulean.ENET.dec.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/19/1999 17:00:53
"michael@camaronet.de" "Michael Kukat" wrote:

> Ok, since i am looking forward to get parts of this nice 4000 series running,
> just mail the wanted values for now, maybe i need more information if i begin
> the stuff (next week, i try to start with the VAX 4000-300 and hope to get
> good results out of it).

Did you mean VAX 4000-300 here? The 4000-300 is (IIRC) Rigel based and not CVAX
or SOC based.

> Is the 4000-200 also a QBUS machine ? Don't know much about QBUS yet, only
> know the VSBUS for now, but if i have seen QBUS live, i think i know more
> questions.

The VAX 4000-200 (KA660) is basically a MicroVAX 3400 series machine but with a
SOC CPU instead of CVAX. It has a Qbus and (again, IIRC) lives in the same box
as a uVAX 3400 and has integral DSSI and Ethernet. (I don't have the manuals
here so I cannot verify this right now).

I have a list of SID and SYS_TYPE values kicking around somewhere in the
office. If I can find it I'll post it. I definitely have a uVAX 3100-30 so I
can post values from that. I don't have either a VLC or a Spitfire so I'll
leave it to someone else to dig those out. I do have an old list here (in WFW
format unfortunately) which lists values for machines that I have tripped over
in the past. If it is accurate (which I cannot promise) then a KA45 should have
0x14 in the top byte of the SID and 0x04 in the top byte of the SYS_TYPE. A VAX
4000-200 has 0x01 in the top byte of the SYS_TYPE; I don't have the VLC listed
but since you have one of those ...

I forgot earlier that at least one of the VAXft range used the SOC chip: maybe
it was the VAXft 110 but I couldn't swear to it.

Antonio