Subject: Re: Halfway booted an uV3100/M40
To: None <carlini@bulean.ENET.dec.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/19/1999 21:58:51
Hi !

> In case it helps all of the following are based on the SOC chip:
> 	MicroVAX 3100-30/40 (KA45)
> 	VAX 4000 Model 200 (KA660)
> 	VAXstation 4000 VLC (KA48)
>
> You probably cannot tell them apart by looking at the SID since that is
> implemented on-chip; you will need to look at SYS_TYPE (aka XSID)

That's it. So i look at physical memory address 20040004. There is another
byte which is checked by locore.c of the NetBSD kernel. If there the values
(MSB of 0x20040004 and LSB of SID) are identical with the KA45 and KA48
(and maybe even KA660), we've got a little problem :-) The value of
0x20020000, where there is currently detected if it's a MicroVAX or VAXstation
is also important. Due to the bit not being correctly for my 4000 VLC i
assumed the values i got might be unique for the KA48. Seems not to be correct.

Ok, values of interest are:

EX SID
EX /P 20020000
EX /P 20040004

I need these values of the KA45 (and if pssible from the KA660) to compare
them with my 4000 VLC and to tune my detection of the 4000 VLC. KA45 is
not officially supported yes, MicroVAX 3100 m40 seems to be newer. With
these values we could try to put it back into the area it belongs to.
MicroVAX -> no graphics, no keyboard... but what are the differences
here ? The machine crashes with the first input on the console, so i think
there is more to do.

Let's wait for the values. Everybody owning a VAXstation 4000 VLC, a MicroVAX
3100 m40 or a VAX 2000/200 should enter the above 3 commands and write the
results either directly to me (i think ragge would be interested, too), or
simply into the list, so everybody knows 'em.

BTW: Ragge, when comes full DHCP support into the booter ? Now if asks DHCP,
but only knows about BOOTP answers... But a minute later, it tries BOOTPARAMD.

Kernel works fine with DHCP, my boxes don't have their own hostnames or
IP-addresses in /etc/rc.conf, they work fine. Only thing they must have is a
correct /etc/hosts.

So long... Michael