Subject: Re: Problem booting MicroVax 2000 - please help
To: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@nfp.fi>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/19/1999 14:39:38
> Thomas Seidmann wrote:
>
> >Hi NetBSD/vax users,
> >
> >I am by far no beginner to <any>BSD, but I've come accross a problem I
> >cannot solve. I try to netboot my MV2000 (6MB RAM)under NetBSD 1.4. >The
> >MOP and BOOTP steps are sucessfully passed as well as loading the >kernel
> >via NFS. The loader prints the sizes and then the console is dead. The
> >symptoms are the same as described in the excellent netbooting HOWTO >for
> >the when trying to boot sitting behind the non-serial-console, i.e. the
> >machine can be pinged but the console is dead. Naturally this is
> >definitely not my case. The console as well as the netboot server is
> >FreeBSD/i386, the serial console is set to 9600 Bd 8N1.
>

> I ran into similar problems with my uV2k, turns out that the console had
> changed ports, ie. all the boot commands (B esa0 etc..) happen normally on
> (was it?) port1 of the cigarette box thingy, the bootloader comes along
> nicely, but when the kernel starts loading all output is switched to (don't
> remember) port3 (the port on the right anyway).
> This was on stock 1.3.2.

Console on VS2000 under 1.3.2 is broken.
Console under 1.4 should be set followong the rules: (in priority order)
	- If the DIAGCONS bit in the CFGTST reg is set, use line 3
	  as console.
	- If the MULTU bit in the CFGTST reg is clear and graphics board
	  is found, use graphics console.
	- If the MULTU bit in the CFGTST reg is set or the graphics board
	  is not found or unsupported, use line 0 as console.

This should be the correct sequence I think.

-- Ragge