Subject: Re: Problem booting MicroVax 2000 - please help
To: Thomas Seidmann <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@nfp.fi>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/19/1999 10:26:32
Thomas Seidmann wrote:

>Hi NetBSD/vax users,
>
>I am by far no beginner to <any>BSD, but I've come accross a problem I
>cannot solve. I try to netboot my MV2000 (6MB RAM)under NetBSD 1.4. >The
>MOP and BOOTP steps are sucessfully passed as well as loading the >kernel
>via NFS. The loader prints the sizes and then the console is dead. The
>symptoms are the same as described in the excellent netbooting HOWTO >for
>the when trying to boot sitting behind the non-serial-console, i.e. the
>machine can be pinged but the console is dead. Naturally this is
>definitely not my case. The console as well as the netboot server is
>FreeBSD/i386, the serial console is set to 9600 Bd 8N1.

I ran into similar problems with my uV2k, turns out that the console had
changed ports, ie. all the boot commands (B esa0 etc..) happen normally on
(was it?) port1 of the cigarette box thingy, the bootloader comes along
nicely, but when the kernel starts loading all output is switched to (don't
remember) port3 (the port on the right anyway).
This was on stock 1.3.2.
So you can either keep switching cables around or wait for better answers:-)
Fiddling around with MAKEDEV and mknod could help but it's not a nice
solution...(well, better than a cable moving frenzy anyway)

I do have a faint recollection about reading about the same problem
earlier...

--
Jarkko Teppo
jarkko.teppo@nfp.fi