Subject: Problem booting MicroVax 2000 - please help
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Seidmann <tseidmann@SIMULTAN.CH>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/19/1999 08:16:09
Hi NetBSD/vax users,

I am by far no beginner to <any>BSD, but I've come accross a problem I
cannot solve. I try to netboot my MV2000 (6MB RAM)under NetBSD 1.4. The
MOP and BOOTP steps are sucessfully passed as well as loading the kernel
via NFS. The loader prints the sizes and then the console is dead. The
symptoms are the same as described in the excellent netbooting HOWTO for
the when trying to boot sitting behind the non-serial-console, i.e. the
machine can be pinged but the console is dead. Naturally this is
definitely not my case. The console as well as the netboot server is
FreeBSD/i386, the serial console is set to 9600 Bd 8N1.

When I press the halt button in this case, I have to temporarily change
the console to 4800 Bd (!) to be able to issue commands. It appears to
me as if the console was put into som peculiar state after kernel

NB: I experienced the same behaviour when booting another MV2000 from a
floppy.

There is nothing special on the MV2000. As said, it contains 6MB of RAM
and has a builtin RD53. Ultrix runs on it without problems.

Regards and thanks,
Thomas