Subject: Re: Console emulation for 3100
To: Rick Copeland <rcopeland@corp.jps.net>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/17/1999 22:33:21
> I am mop booting eight VS3100's.  Unfortunately this requires eight
> separate terminals, one for each 3100. If I disconnect  any of the
> terminals (console terminal) the 3100's drop back to the ">>>"
> prompt.  I would like to be able to run these with out a terminal
> (after say they are booted up) or find some way to connect them to a
> single computer that emulates eight terminals.  Is there a way to do
> this?

You could try to keep up DTR and CD on the serial interface, and use a
pullup (or pulldown) resistor to keep the RX line up when disconnected.
(This line gives the BREAK signal if dropped for a longer time than some
bits use, and BREAK is the same as the HALT button on the box). Then you
could use a 8 port switch to connect all to your PC. Other way: Use a
DECserver 200/mc or another terminal server to connect all boxes to it.
Problem: DEC terminalservers prefer the LAT protocol. If you have
running VMS or so, no problem. If you have a VXT 2000+ (maybe also works
with VT-1300), which knows LAT, you can open a session on each port, and
so you can control the VAXen in 8 nice windows. (I use this way for my
experimental computers, works fine. But i think the session must be
connected. Don't know what the DECserver does with disconnected
sessions).

If you want more details for something, just write another mail. These
are only the possibilities just getting through my brain.

so long... Michael