Subject: Re: Mop booting (8) 3100'S ?
To: Rick Copeland <rickgc@calweb.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/16/1999 11:37:40
On Thu, 13 May 1999, Rick Copeland wrote:

> I have mop booted a 3100/38 from a Sun 3/80 and it runs well!  I have seven
> (7) more 3100's that I would now like to boot and run at the same time from
> the same bootserver.  The question I have is how much of the root file
> system do I need to replicate for each additional 3100?  Also, do things
> like the console device on the bootserver need to be replicated as well?

I run multiple systems off of a single server.  The only thing I share is
the /usr subtree.  The remaining files under "/" take up around 10-12Megs,
then you'll also need separate swap files which adds another X Megs per
machine.  You can probably get by with more of the setup being shared, but
my disk space wasn't that tight, and about 20-30Megs overhead per each
machine didn't seem too bad.

You'll need to create the appropriate additional entries under your
bootserver, but you won't need to setup additional bootservers.  I usually
just have one copy of the MOPable bootloader and make the approriate
08002bxxyyzz.SYS symlinks to the bootloader under /tftpboot/mop.

-brian.
---