Subject: Re: VAX 11/785
To: Jonathan R. Hinds <jon@luhsd.k12.ca.us>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/09/1999 21:58:59
Jonathan R. Hinds writes:
> Why are these things so heavy? 500kg right? I mean I know that they are
> huge, but what makes it that heavy?

Uhmm steel?  They sure weren't making them out of aluminum. :-)

> What do you think would be the easiest way to move one from Virginia to
> California?

Well, at about 1/2 ton, you should be able to put it (weight wise) into
a decent fullsize pickup.  Otherwise you'll probably have to crate it up
and send it via Roadway or some other truck line.  It would cost some $$$,
but cheaper perhaps than vacation days, gas, hotel, food, mileage, etc
to rescue some old "junk" hardware. :)
Of course there is the option of a plane/train/bus to Virginia, and rent
a uhaul/ryder/whatever one-way.

Now if this is free, and you can't get it, let the rest of us in on it!

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.