Subject: Re: 1.4 hangs
To: ari ,Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/03/1999 09:58:56
At 01:06 PM 5/3/99 +0300, ari wrote:
>	Hmmm. I'm running diskless and the system hangs when trying kernel
>compile.

How much memory? What CPU? I haven't been able to run 1.4 with 16MB yet, so
I'm running with 12MB. (on a KA630). Since DDB is only a half step above
ODT :-) I'm writing some code to dump out the more interesting kernel
structures in the debug kernel (unless someone tells me its already there
somewhere) I can reliably reproduce the problem by booting diskless,
mounting a disk partition, waiting 24 hours and then trying to do anything
with the disk. Wham! Stuck in biowait. vmstat -m shows a whole lot of
buffers allocated as devbuf's. (could be normal, I can't really tell yet.)

--Chuck