Subject: uVaxII + cable for vs2000 + rx33, rd53 & rd32 disks
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Stephen Bell <steve@discus.lincoln.ac.nz>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/03/1999 11:00:42
Hi

  I have a vs2000 & 2 uVaxII's (ba23 + ba123) which I'm trying to get up
  and running. The uVaxII's both have delqua boards and no other
  boot device.

  I've hooked up an old (ex PC) 5 1/4" floppy drive as an rx33 and have
  been able to get the system running to the point where
  I can boot the distribution media (1.3.2) and run edlabel & copy.
  so far so good  :).. now it's question time.

  The rx33 is assigned as dua0

  There is an rd53 which was used only as a swap device on a vms system.
  ( jumper on ds3 (labeled ds1-ds4 on drive) which should make it dua2
  right?.

  I assumed that if I ran edlabel I would be able to pickup the old disk
  label and overwrite it. I tried several options but haven't been able
  to pick up the disk label. running edlabel & using the write option
  after entering disk data doesn't seem to have worked either.
  (copy doesn't find the disk label when trying to transfer the miniroot.)

  I decided to attempt to use the formatter on the vs2000 to reformat
  one of the disks (and recreate the disklabel??) but was stumped by the
  cable requirements.
  can anyone tell me how to make up a cable to connect an rx33 & rd53 etc..
  to a vs2000.

  I'm also looking for the information to give to the t 71 formatter for
  rd53 & rd31 disks once I get the cabling sorted out.

  And a final question, the "rx33" has soldered terminators, the rd53
  appears to have removable ones. what are the terminator requirements
  for this type of disk controller interface?.

Cheers
    Steve..
s.bell@discus.lincoln.ac.nz