Subject: Re: Dilog SQ706 voodoo
To: None <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/28/1999 14:36:53
> From port-vax-owner-clowenst=ucsd.edu@netbsd.org Wed Apr 28 14:01 PDT 1999
> Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 13:10:32 -0700
> From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
> To: jim@dmv.net
> Cc: port-vax@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: Dilog SQ706 voodoo
>
> [2] I didn't use SCSI ID 0, because sometimes SCSI controllers don't like
>     to use ID 0.  I don't know enough about SCSI controllers to know why
>     this is the case, but I've had problems with PCs and SGIs in the past
>     where setting one device at SCSI ID 0 causes *strange happenings* on
>     the bus to which the device is connected. (e.g. the single ID 0
>     device gets detected on ID 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7)

Some (PC) SCSI host adapters (controllers) use ID=0 for themselves.  So
you can't use that ID for a drive.

Most (workstation) SCSI host adapters use ID=7, so you don't use that ID
for a drive.

DEC had the habit of setting the controller ID to 6 in MicroVax/
VaxStation 3100 systems.  Draw your own conclusion.

    carl

        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
        {decvax|ucbvax} !ucsd!mpl!cdl                 cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu
                                                  clowenstein@ucsd.edu