Subject: Re: 1.4_ALPHA hangs when using a lot of memory
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@nhh.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/23/1999 18:53:01
Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE> writes:

> I have the same problem... I can compile the kernel, but trying to
> build libc is a sure stopper.

Ditto.  On my KA650 with 16MB of RAM, and plenty swap available, I can
rebuild the whole system these days (a great improvement from before),
but I have to do libc separately, trying again and again, rebooting
every time it hangs.  It used to crash in various ways, but with a
1999-03-27 source kit there's just the hang.  I get the same problem
when I swap the CPU and memory for a KA630 with 9MB.

I think I have a way to provoke it into happening for those with the
inclination and skills to debug it: since the normal lorder/tsort/ar
build on libc fails when the system runs out of file handles, I tried
to build a new kernel with maxusers set to 32 instead of 8.  This
kernel couldn't even get to multiuser mode on my system without
hitting the hang.  (This was with a KA630.)

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"