Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: Elmet Orasson <elmet@rasi.lr.ttu.ee>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/16/1999 16:46:11
Hi !

> 	Same here. I have 24MB physical memory + 16MB swap space for my
> VS3100/m38. Never seen it using that swap :-). Even compiling new kernel
> lefts about 7 megs free. Can't be compared to my Linux box, which uses all
> of its 64MB when running X & company :-)

Linux has a fascinating memory managment... The memory is always FULL, maybe
even some KB of swap are in use, but fire up some applications: the memory
never gets more filled with it (except of 10 open netscape windows or so :-).
Linux uses all memory which is currently not in use as buffers for filesystem
cache and so i think. You get the absolute same results with 32 Megs. VAXen
seem to need less space due to the much better CPU architecture. Maybe if we
compare Alphas with VAXen needing 4 times the memory, i would say intel CPUs
need about the double RAM of VAX CPUs. (Don't know exactly, but i think it is
in the range 1.5-2.0)
Windows might get 8 to 16 times :-)

So long.. Michael