Subject: Re: Memory in my vs3100m38
To: Jonathan R. Hinds <jon@luhsd.k12.ca.us>
From: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/15/1999 07:50:00
Hi Jonathan,

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan R. Hinds <jon@luhsd.k12.ca.us>
To: port-vax@netbsd.org <port-vax@netbsd.org>
Date: Thursday, April 15, 1999 4:07 AM
Subject: Memory in my vs3100m38

>I was wondering if someone could tell me a way to find out how much memory
>is installed in my vs3100m38, preferably from the chevron prompt as I do
>not netbsd set up on it yet... I'm guessing 'show mem', but I do not know
>what output to expect.

Do a  "show mem"
In the first line, is the amount of memory of your box. (in hex !)
If you don't like it, boot NetBSD ;-)) NetBSD tells you that in plain
english ...

>Physically, there is one board that is plugged into 2 black connectors
>towards the front of the motherboard, there is another board directly
>beneath that board. (I cant quite see how it is connected, and I havn't
>yet bothered removing the board above it). There are another two black
>connectors towards the back of the motherboard that are free.

You can put two of these boards in your vs3100.
There are versions of 2/4/8/16 MByte.

>It sucks being a newbie. Thanks.

NO !!! DEFINITELY NOT ! it's all the fun, just figure this stuff out,
without documentation.

cheers & enjoy your VS,
emanuel