Subject: SCSI Boot of VS3100/30 yet?
From: Douglas Shannon Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/14/1999 14:57:16
Hi,

I recently acquired a couple of Vaxstation 3100's, model 30 I believe.
I've successfully netbooted them with Brian Chase's excellent instructions,
from a DECStation 5000/240, running NetBSD.  They all have disks, either 1
or
2 RZ23's, 100 Mb each.  From reading some history of posts to this list,
it's still not clear to me if you can boot these little fellows from
their disks.  I was able to disklabel, newfs and install bootblocks
on the first drive of one machine, by copying xxboot to sdboot.  I
put a simple filesystem on the disk, by installing the files in base.tgz,
etc.tgz and the kernel.

I tried "b/3 dka200" and it looked like it was actually going to work.

It got this far:

-DKA200
howto 0x3 bdev0x29, booting .... done (31448+22260)
>> NetBSD/Vaxboot [98062 19:55] <<
:

Here I typed "netbsd", and my computer said:

"sdopen: ctlr=0 unit=12 port=8
bad controller number"

My basic question, however, is "can the 3100/30 run standalone, and
if so, what version do I need?"

Any help is of course appreciated.

Doug