Subject: Re: 1.4 Alpha snapshot available.
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/11/1999 18:03:30
Hi !

> I have just uploaded a 1.4 ALPHA snapshot of NetBSD/vax. I have tried
> to install this both from net and booting from tape and it seems
> to work OK. It would now be good if people downloaded this and tries
> to use it on different machines, so that as many bugs as possible
> can be found and fixed before the release.

Results:

My installation: untar all archives in one machine boot directory, move
the /usr to a common location for all VAXen, do "./MAKEDEV all" in VAX
/dev, edit VAX /etc/fstab to put /usr mountpoint and so in it, edit VAX
/etc/rc.conf, so the system is ready-to-go. Server is RedHat Linux 5.2
on intel.

VAXstation 3100m76:

booter doesn't work with DHCP... fallback to RARP/BOOTPARAMS
/usr/libexec/ld.so missing (Brian said so also)... copied in from older
binary snapshot
... 6 boots later... my mistakes...
"shutdown -h now" results in a pseudo-shutdown and a /halt.core,
pressing return gets back to shell.
"halt" results in csh.core and inetd.core, but halts
(the above 2 are the usual situation, no new bugs :-)
"ps" now works
playing around, compiling "config" worked fine !
remote login during the compiler run didn't make problems.

VAXstation 4000VLC:

seems my changes are gone again... booter doesn't want to work. using
the older one.
copied the 3100-root to the 4000-root, /usr is common, as said.
changed the hostname in VAX /etc/fstab and /etc/rc.conf
fired up the box.
played around and did "make / make clean" for "config", worked fine.
remote login also ok, "ps" working, seems to run stable.

short form:

"ld.so" should be included in the tar files
the booter should be patched for the 4000 VLC. Maybe it's the address of
the ROM consio routines again. Or some stuff in autoconf.c is missing.

I'll get the new src tar this evening and hope, it's syncronized
correctly. Maybe you get the patches tonight, if i get it running in
time.

so long.. Michael