Subject: VS2k install woes: disk problems!
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: None <jsturges@gmri.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/09/1999 16:30:24
Hi,
I've successfully netbooted my VS2k into 'sysinst' from the 12/98 snapshot.
However, I'm having major disk problems.

The machine has an internal RD32, as well as an external SCSI disk.  The SCSI is
an IBM WDS-3160, which is a 3.5" 160Mb. SCSI-2 drive.  It does *not* do Fast
SCSI-2, however, and is limited to 5MB/sec.

When the kernel/sysinst initializes, it does not even see the RD32.  However,
the RD32 spins up, and can be formatted successfully by the ROM formatter.
Aren't the VS2k internal disks supported??  Or is mine broken?

Secondly, the SCSI disk *is* recognized at boot time but cannot be accessed.
Any attempt to write the disklabel or anything results in the drive resetting
itself (so my ears tell me) and the operation fails with an error.

Can someone provide guidance on this?  I'd really like to get the OS installed
locally, as opposed to running it diskless/dataless.

TIA,
Jonathan