Subject: Re: MSCP support
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@freegate.com>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@nhh.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/08/1999 08:03:57
Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@freegate.com> writes:

> On a related note on tar, why is it that :
> 	tar -cvfb /dev/rmt8 20 .
> Creates the file 'b' ? Someone decided perhaps that we must type -cvf
> /dev/rmt8 -b 20 for some reason? (its like only worked the other way for at
> least 10 years)

>From /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/tar/getoldopt.c:

/*
 * Plug-compatible replacement for getopt() for parsing tar-like
 * arguments.  If the first argument begins with "-", it uses getopt;
 * otherwise, it uses the old rules used by tar, dump, and ps.
 *
 * Written 25 August 1985 by John Gilmore (ihnp4!hoptoad!gnu)
 */

In other words, change "-cvfb" to just "cvfb", and it will work the
way you want it to.

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"