Subject: Re: VXT2000+
To: Michael Kukat <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/07/1999 14:08:36
Hi Michael,

----------
> From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
> To: port-vax@netbsd.org
> Subject: VXT2000+
> Date: Wednesday, April 07, 1999 2:29 PM

> Who wanted to know exactly what there is in a VXT 2000+ ? The one with
> the "4000 VLC" tip got 1000 points.

thanks ;-))

> I made the usual way "Oh, new
> hardware... What's inside?" and opened it, removed all boards and looken
> into. Then it had to take some software procedures. Here's the result:
>
> CPU: SOC, 100 MHz (EX SID -> 14000006)
>
> This makes it nearly the same as a VAXstation 4000 VLC.
>
> Network: callen "VNI", ESA0, maybe LANCE compatible.

This should be the same SGEC chip as in the VS4000/90 ...

> Memory map is totally different from the VAXstation, no ether address at
> 0x20090000, no useful CPU info at 0x20080000, so i would say, NetBSD
> really doesn't run on it. But i don't think, that's not that dramatic,
> what do you want with a diskless, very flat machine booting from network
> ?

WORK ? I think it would be great, because they are very cheap, using
standard DRAMs, and most of my VAXEN are running diskless anyway.

> Just take the original "VXTLDR1" file, boot it into, and enjoy the X
> session.

That's exactly how i use them now ...

> (I planned to do such things with my 4000 VLC so...). Here some
> tech info about the inside:

> Base memory: 4 MB
> Memory board with 3 PS/2-sockets: 2 MB on this card.
> PS/2-Sockets: seems to be max. 4 MB per socket, standard FP-DRAMs work,
> i use a 70ns module from my PC.
>
> Maximum memory resulting from the above:
> - No memory board: 4 MB
> - 1 Memory board: 18 MB
> - 2 Memory boards: 32 MB
>
> No guarantee, that this works, but it seems to have 2 sockets for those
> memory boards.

NOPE. The second connectors are for a graphics accelerator.

so the max memory is 18 MB, but it's enough for a VAX anyway ...

> I even don't know if there are different boards knowing
> about more or bigger modules.
> But it runs really fine with 16 MB.

Yes,

> So have fun with it, i must play around with it now :-)

Have fun, and tell what you found ...

cheers,
emanuel