Subject: MSCP support
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@freegate.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/07/1999 13:09:47
I was wondering if anyone was using MSCP tape drives on a MicroVAX II with
NetBSD. I'm looking into the disk hang while waiting for 1.4A and one
diagnostic appears to be to try the tape driver since it too goes through
the MSCP layer (this would isolate the fault between MSCP and the disk part
of the MSCP driver). Unfortunately the only MSCP tape controller I have is
a Viking QTO that talks to a SCSI tape drive and presents itself as an MSCP
tape. Further the state of the board is in question so before I rely on my
test results (it too hangs in an IO wait) I'd like outside confirmation. My
test was to tar out the entire distribution to tape.

On a related note on tar, why is it that :
	tar -cvfb /dev/rmt8 20 .
Creates the file 'b' ? Someone decided perhaps that we must type -cvf
/dev/rmt8 -b 20 for some reason? (its like only worked the other way for at
least 10 years)

--Chuck