Subject: VXT2000+
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/07/1999 22:29:01
Hi !

Who wanted to know exactly what there is in a VXT 2000+ ? The one with
the "4000 VLC" tip got 1000 points. I made the usual way "Oh, new
hardware... What's inside?" and opened it, removed all boards and looken
into. Then it had to take some software procedures. Here's the result:

CPU: SOC, 100 MHz (EX SID -> 14000006)

This makes it nearly the same as a VAXstation 4000 VLC.

Network: callen "VNI", ESA0, maybe LANCE compatible.

Memory map is totally different from the VAXstation, no ether address at
0x20090000, no useful CPU info at 0x20080000, so i would say, NetBSD
really doesn't run on it. But i don't think, that's not that dramatic,
what do you want with a diskless, very flat machine booting from network
? Just take the original "VXTLDR1" file, boot it into, and enjoy the X
session. (I planned to do such things with my 4000 VLC so...). Here some
tech info about the inside:

Base memory: 4 MB
Memory board with 3 PS/2-sockets: 2 MB on this card.
PS/2-Sockets: seems to be max. 4 MB per socket, standard FP-DRAMs work,
i use a 70ns module from my PC.

Maximum memory resulting from the above:
- No memory board: 4 MB
- 1 Memory board: 18 MB
- 2 Memory boards: 32 MB

No guarantee, that this works, but it seems to have 2 sockets for those
memory boards. I even don't know if there are different boards knowing
about more or bigger modules.
But it runs really fine with 16 MB.

So have fun with it, i must play around with it now :-)

so long... Michael